My Journey to Victory and Lessons I Learned Along the Way.
Always Honest. Sometimes Difficult. But Through it All.....
Victory in Jesus!

"But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him." 2 Corinthians 2:14


Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Lavished....

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!

1 John 3:1


In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.

Ephesians 1:7,8


Don't you just love the sound of the Bible when you read it aloud? I love the rich language and colorful descriptions that we can find hidden in it's pages. It makes the words of Truth come alive to me....to seem almost tangible - like I could reach out and touch this word lavished.

I was interested in what this word lavished means. Wow! The words that I found made the above verses of Scripture just DANCE!

To Lavish means to pamper, to shower, be generous, to deluge, to heap.
To Deluge means to douse, to drench, to submerge, to abound, to engulf.
To Heap means to amass, accumulate.

1 John 3:1 describes God as lavishing His love on us, calling us His children. Now think about it like this. God heaps His love on us. God drenches us with His love. God engulfs with His love. His love piles up on us. His love amasses, accumulates. Wow! What a beautiful image of the love that God has for us - His sons and daughters! God lavishes upon us this amazing love - love that allows us to be called His children!

Ephesians 1:8 describes God as lavishing us with all the riches of His grace. God's grace abounds. We can be engulfed, wrapped up in, God's grace. God's grace completely covers us....we are submerged under His grace! God showers us with His grace. God lavishes us with His grace.

Wow! Don't you just love these images?! I know that they help me to more fully understand what it means to have God's love and God's grace lavished upon me. It's a big deal! And I am so thankful to be called His daughter and to receive the honor of being drenched, doused, engulfed, showered, deluged, submerged in the beauty of His grace and love!

May God lavish you with His grace and love!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being a sinner saved by Grace...this sounds really refreshing!!! Thank you for the picture I now have in my mind. And thank you Jesus for lavishing on me!!
Momma

leanne said...

I love the word pamper! So many times in the church we have not been taught that the Lord loves to lavish us, but rather loves our duty and service. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Leanne