My Journey to Victory and Lessons I Learned Along the Way.
Always Honest. Sometimes Difficult. But Through it All.....
Victory in Jesus!

"But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him." 2 Corinthians 2:14


Sunday, February 28, 2010

Rest for the Weary

For thus says the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel:
“In returning and rest you shall be saved;
In quietness and confidence shall be your strength.”

Isaiah 30:15


I don't know about you, but I'm a doer, a fixer, a problem-solver. I like to make the plan, know the plan, follow the plan. And I get all out of sorts when any part of the plan does not work out.

No plan - Are you crazy?! You need to make one.....NOW!
Change the plan - Have you lost your mind?! What's wrong with the plan? It's working just fine....LEAVE IT ALONE!

There's just one problem with this problem that I have....God doesn't always let us in on His plan. Isaiah says that in returning to God and resting in Him we "shall be saved." Resting is a difficult thing to do for a doer, a fixer, a problem-solver. But that is just what God has called me to do in this season of my life. He has a plan for me, for my future. Jeremiah 29:11 assures me of that. But God has not revealed to me His plan. And that is driving me crazy! I want to know what he has in store for me! I want to know what this valley has been training me for! I want to know!!

But God is saying to my restless spirit, "Rest, My daughter. Rest in this season. Renew your strength in this "quietness." Soak up all you can from the Word and from the godly people in your life. Rest, knowing that I'm the doer right now. I'm the fixer. I'm the problem-solver. And, when the time is right, I'll let you in on My plan for you."

Wow - that's hard to even type. But I know that it's true. I have been through the valley, in the battle, on the frontlines for months. Then God broke me and showed me that I needed to return to Him. I pray that you have experienced the joy of returning to Him. And I pray that you will listen to the words of Isaiah and draw strength from being quiet with the Lord. These are all things He is teaching me right now. And, I have to admit to you, I'm a stubborn student! But now He is teaching me the importance of resting, and I think I'm starting to understand. It feels good to be wrapped up in the Father's arms, knowing that He's got everything under control. It feels good to let myself take a break from the harried life that I live and just find myself resting.

Resting in His arms - which are always waiting to hold me.
Resting in His peace - which surpasses all my understanding.
Resting in His promises - which He is faithful to fulfill.

Listening.
Learning.
Preparing.

For what? I don't know that yet. But I do know one thing - When He says, "It's time to go," I'm going to make sure that I am rested up and ready to go!

2 comments:

Brent Haldeman said...

There's a quote in a movie I saw recently where a husband and wife are struggling to have children. Everything they try doesn't seem to work. Out of desperation, the husband finally meets with God and resolves to love Him no matter what. When his wife comes to him he asks her the question, "Will you still love Him even if He never gives us children?"

I can't help but think that the question pertains to all of us. Will you love Him even if the valley never ends?

Have you ever noticed what's at the bottom of every canyon? A clean, cool, slow running, refreshing river. I pray your time spent there will create in you a refreshed soul. Don't fret the canyon Casey, it's there to make us clean.

leanne said...

Casey, I know this was written recently, but this is a timely and gentle reminder that I need to remember this today. I am in a resting season as well, and I have heard him ask me if this was ll there was would I be okay with that. A few months ago...I would have said no, but he is gentle and patient, and now I can say yes. Thank you for your honesty.

Leanne